Growing your own produce is not only better for the environment, but it’s also better for your wallet! When you buy organic food from the store, you’re paying a premium for a product that can be grown locally. Growing your own food also allows you to control the amount you eat. And what better way to get the kids to eat their veggies than by giving them an edible plant? And, yes, you can grow tomatoes in a grow bag.
What is a Grow Bag?
There is no better way to grow a tomato plant than in a grow bag. What is a grow bag, you ask? A grow bag is a bag with multiple layers of mesh that you can slowly fill with potting soil, water and then add the actual plant.
This ensures that the soil does not get saturated with water, which can kill a tomato plant. It also allows the plant to grow roots and get the most from the nutrients in the soil. By doing this, you can save time and money when it comes to growing tomatoes.
How Can You Grow Tomatoes in a Grow Bag?
Growing your own fresh tomatoes can be exciting and rewarding, but it does require a little planning. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to keep in mind when planting a garden of your very own:
- Make sure you have the necessary materials for this plant project. The important things that you need to prepare include the tomato plants, the growing bags, a pair of scissors or a sharp knife, a trowel, and a hand fork. You may also use growing rings if you want.
- Soaking your tomatoes in a tray of water is a common method used to pre-hydrate tomatoes, but there are several different methods that can be used to do it. One of those methods is to put your tomatoes in a plastic tray filled with water and let them soak for an hour. This method is a healthy way to hydrate your tomatoes before planting them in their grow bag.
- Make sure that the soil they will be planted in is moist. Tomato plants are not very efficient at absorbing water, and they need a lot of it to get started. They will not tolerate water shortages, so if your soil is dry, you will need to add water before starting artificially.
- Place the bag on a sunny side or in a position that gets at least six hours of sun daily. Shake the bag to dislodge any compact soil. Tomatoes need a long summer, so you should make sure to start seeds indoors and plant them out in the garden after the last spring frost.
- Find a bag that is big enough to hold your tomatoes but not too big. As a general rule, you should plan to use 6-8 plants per bag.
- Cut a slot in the grow bag before you begin, and then plant them directly into the hole, using a hand fork to dislodge any compacted compost in the hole, if necessary. Once the tomatoes are planted, cover the hole with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band. This will keep the wind from blowing the bags open and the dirt from blowing out.
- No tomato plant is left behind; better grow companion plants with them. Something as simple as French marigold can help to keep tomato hornworms and other insects away from your tomato plants. Also, French marigold foliage is effective in repelling the whitefly, which is a good idea to prevent your tomatoes from being destroyed by it.
Growing your own fresh food is a great way to get the fresh veggies and fruits you need to stay healthy. There will be no more spending money on fresh fruits and vegetables that you don’t even like. All you need is a grow bag with some quality soil and the right sunlight, and you’re set.
Other things to consider when growing tomatoes in a grow bag
Growing tomatoes in a grow bag is a great way to garden year-round, but it does have some limitations. The most obvious is that growing tomatoes in a grow bag is seasonal, and you can’t plant a tomato in the winter or in the spring when the soil is still cold. Additionally, growing tomatoes in a grow bag can be complicated and time-consuming. For these and other reasons, many gardeners who grow tomatoes in a grow bag supplement their tomato plants with some kind of growing ring.
The growing rings are an amazing invention that enables the tomato plant to grow upwards towards the light, increasing the plant’s growing speed. The growing rings can be purchased in many different sizes, and if you are growing by the light as part of a hydroponics method, you will need to use the correct size for the type of hydroponic growing bag you are using. If you are growing tomatoes in a grow bag, then preferably, you should use a large growing ring that is approximately 15mm in diameter.