Raised Bed Gardening
Raised bed gardening is perfect for vegetables and flowers.
have them any shape imaginable, you can make them yourself or purchase a
commercially designed kit, and I notice there are so many commercially
available these days, and like most things, we are only limited by our
Click on the photos to learn more about each Raised Bed Gardening design
The idea is to raise it above the actual soil level – this saves your
back from heavy work, eases drainage problems, helps reduce pests such
as snails, allows for a longer growing time and stops any soil compaction as you only walk around the outside
The sides can be made from...
- Wood sides are easy
- Metal can be useful
- Old food tins
What are the benefits?
- They are great for small plots
- You can plant closer together as you don’t have to make space for walking over the garden
- plants grow much faster and larger in these gardens
- soil temperature is warmer = a longer growing time
- perfect to use with the square foot gardening method
- helps reduce weeding
- It is also easier to keep slugs and snails off the actual garden
- It is easier to treat the soil with any mulch etc
- certainly prevents soil compaction as you don't walk over the garden
- easier to monitor the soil conditions
- You get much better drainage
- A massive benefit for those of us living in drought conditions as I do.
- You only have to water the actual garden itself, no water is wasted on the exterior
What are the benefits of Raised Bed Gardening for your health?
You don’t have to strain and stretch over the garden to tend it.
Design allows for easy reaching – never straining or heavy stretching
The garden is very compact and is a relatively maintenance free garden.
Return from Raised Bed Gardening to Home Page